Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Our first Home Study visit, 07-17-08

We started our home study on July 17th. We went to the local agency’s office and our case worker showed us a video about the Children’s Home in Addis. It was very touching and helps us to better understand where our child is coming from.
We also discussed the importance of keeping our child’s story private. Her story (whatever it is) belongs to her. Our case worker talked about how important it is to teach the child (and our bio daughter) all about Ethiopian culture. She gave us things to think about and talk about with each other. We are struggling a bit with what it means to incorporate Ethiopian culture into our lives. We plan on joining a group of ET adoptive families in Madison. From what I can tell, they get together for picnics, to celebrate Ethiopian Christmas, etc… I am looking forward to joining them once we have our child.
We know our children will be exposed to different cultures, because Steve and I have always enjoyed going to various cultural events and we love eating food from all around the world. But what more should we do? I know I have to learn how to do African hair (Steve, too), but what else? We are American. The cultural traditions we celebrate are secular American things… our daughters are American. Yes, we will, of course, teach our daughters about the beauty and rich cultural tradition of Ethiopia. When we go to ET, we will buy ET art to display in the house. What else? We do not want our daughter stamped “Ethiopian” her whole life. Just as we are not stamped “German” or whatever. She will be an African American, after all, right?

3 comments:

badboc said...

I think just be ready to answer the questions that she will have, and to share her ET roots with her.

Ms. Fricknfrack said...

I just saw your blog link from the ET yahoo group and wanted to drop you a line. I wish you well on your journey to your daughter and hope your wait to referral is a speedy one. I also hope you have a change of heart with your not wanting your daughter to be "stamped Ethiopian" her entire life. We have been home with our son for almost 6 months now and I cannot begin to tell you the sense of pride I feel each and every time someone asks me if our son is Ethiopian.

Selam.

Ms. Fricknfrack said...

And I forgot to mention, please read There Is No Me Without You and The Lonely Planet's Ethiopia & Eritrea during your wait. These books are invaluable to all parents adopting from and traveling to Ethiopia.